Jul 27, 2009

Discreetionary: parokyano

parokyano

parokyano [pa·ro·KYA·nò] noun 1. A person who frequents gay establishments, especially bathhouses and gay saunas. etymology: from the Tagalog parokyano, which comes from the Spanish parroquiano, which means parishioner (of a parish) or a patron or customer of an establishment.

This term has a negative connotation and is used to refer to those guys who frequent bathhouses, especially those that go there every week or even more frequently. The connotation seems to say that a parokyano is a sex-maniac. I don’t get why frequenting bathhouses is such a bad thing. If you’re single, having safe casual sex in moderate amounts is not an unhealthy thing. And getting laid in the bathhouse is a very low-risk affair and there’s no problem of second-guessing if a guy is straight or not and wondering where to do it unlike when cruising in public. And unlike chatting and cruising online, you have no problem anymore with fake pictures. I guess being a parokyano will only be a problem if one is addicted to it.

Because of this negative connotation, I’ve observed one thing. One question that I’ve encountered a lot from people I meet in the bathhouse is “how many times have you been here?” The usual answer is two, three, or a few times. People don’t like to say it’s their first time (so that they won’t appear naïve), and they certainly don’t like to admit that they’ve been to the bathhouse many times. Well, I’m admitting that I’m a parokyano and by that, I’m saying that I patronize bathhouses (I usually go about once a month). I don’t see anything wrong with that, do you?

Got any Discreetionary terms of your own? Send them my way at discreetmanila at gmail.com.

5 comments:

Anonymous wrote on July 27, 2009 at 8:48 PM:

what do call me who frequents discreet manila blogspot, is it still parokyano?

a reader from dubai...

 
pugeee wrote on July 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM:

how frequent is frequent?

ano ba frequency bago masabing parokyano?

dati every week ako sa bathouse. F, E, Q. been once at The Mansion.

That went on for a year.

But my last visit was 3 months ago. E was the last.

Nakaka addict talaga. Mabilis lang kasi ang sex. Wala nang pahirapan pa.

Siguro nga parokyano ako.

There was a point where I called myself a sex-maniac.

But lately, because of my target of getting a test for HIV, i disciplined myself to lessen my sexual activities. one way is preventing myself from going to bathouse. (i always practice safe sex though)

Mahirap umiwas sa bathouse kasi nga nasanay ako for a year.

but these establishments in a way helped to prevent myself from returning because of their low quality of service.

marumi karamihan. (pero nakatagal ng isang taon. hehehehe)

but nung mga last months. lalong dumumi. at bumaho. kahit siguro may competiton na. e sige sige lang ang serbisyo. sabagay ang dumi e maitatago naman ng madidilim na ilaw.

 
Mugen wrote on July 31, 2009 at 8:22 PM:

Parkoyano rin ako ah! O, C, B, G. and P. Name it, I've been there once or twice before. LOL.

 
Vince (Discreet Manila) wrote on August 12, 2009 at 12:02 AM:

Anon, I'd call you a loyal reader and I like how that sounds. :-)

pugeee, you went every week? Sabagay, sex is indeed quite addicting and bathhouses make getting laid quite easy.

Knox, hmmm, puro clubs and bars yung mga nabanggit mo ah. How about bathhouses? :-)

 
Anonymous wrote on January 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM:

Once a month also...