Aug 11, 2009

Have you ever been to the "first circuit party" in Manila?

Back in mid-2004, this upstart group called Kokun Productions organized what they billed as the “first circuit party” in Manila. The party was called “Flesh” and it was held at an events hall in Greenbelt 1 in Makati. Do you remember that party and have you attended it? (Kokun Productions eventually put up Government and the club will be celebrating would have celebrated its 5th year this October.)

Well, I have been to this party and I now only recall vague details about it. I was somewhat new to the gay clubbing scene in 2004 and my good friend from college encouraged me to accompany him to “Flesh.” Well, the party turned out to be a whizzed-up club party not much different from your usual Malate White Parties in June. It certainly didn’t feel anything at all like the infamous circuit parties of North America such as the White Party in Miami and the Black and Blue Festival in Montreal.

Looking back at “Flesh” got me wondering, are circuit parties—as they exist in America—something that can be emulated here in the Philippines? Despite the marketing, “Flesh” is definitely not a circuit party (it was just a simple party). Well, given how our culture is still pretty much conservative, I seriously doubt that the circuit parties and their decadent impression will succeed here in this country. More than that, is unbridled merrymaking a healthy way to promote gay culture?

Anyway, I’m just thinking out loud here guys. But I would love to hear your reactions and thoughts. :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous wrote on August 12, 2009 at 8:06 AM:

is government back in business?

 
Ming Meows wrote on August 12, 2009 at 11:42 AM:

ni-raid pala ang goverment? i have no idea.

 
Vince (Discreet Manila) wrote on August 13, 2009 at 12:42 AM:

Narnian, ok, I've added a correction. I confirmed that Government has been closed a few months ago. (Palibhasa hindi ako pumupunta sa G so hindi ko alam ang balita.) :-p

Ming Meows, I think they just closed, but I'm not sure. Hindi ako G loyalist eh. Hehehe.

 
Mugen wrote on August 13, 2009 at 3:20 AM:

Never been to a circuit party. But from the looks of it (during those days), A Saturday club night at BED would be far more enticing.

 
Vince (Discreet Manila) wrote on August 13, 2009 at 11:46 PM:

Knox, actually. Hehehe.