Feb 1, 2011

The evolution of BED (part 1)

“So, what can you say?” my friend asked me.

We were both in BED on the Saturday of the club’s public re-opening weekend, several months after that ill-fated night. We just finished exploring the BED’s new layout and we were then people-watching by the bar.

“You mean, which do I prefer, the previous BED or this new one?” I asked in return.

“Yup.”

I gave it some thought. “Right now, I prefer the old BED.”

“Same here.”

The new club felt alien, which I guess was a bit appropriate to the club’s new space-age-ish interiors. The place is massive! It now spans three floors and has conquered the space that Club Mafia used to occupy. BED now sports 5 bars and has quite a lot more room to sit. And whereas the stage was the centerpiece of the club before, now it’s the DJ deck with its techno-visuals directly above (behind which is a treat of sorts).

I’m actually very happy that BED is back in the gay clubbing scene (O-Bar Ortigas is not a good substitute). And the single best thing is the banning of smoking on the first two floors. But the new BED is far too different, too raw, and too new, for me to feel comfortable and at home. Nangangapa pa ako, kumbaga. With the previous BED, you know how the social dynamics worked in each part of the club. Now, everyone is literally still finding their place. Where’s the stage ledge? Where’s the dark corner? Where can I strut my stuff? Where can I make out with the guy I like?

The new BED made me feel extremely nostalgic for the original hole-in-the-wall BED—yes, that ancient BED where guys were packed liked sardines. I have plenty of fond memories of that place. But they’re all in the past now.

I guess in time, I will learn to fall in love with this king-sized BED again.


Read part 2.

2 comments:

Ronnie wrote on February 2, 2011 at 7:20 PM:

The 'kapa' feeling is right, I guess. My friends and I had the same thoughts about the new Bed.

Baka nasa process of adjustment pa tayo lol.

 
Vince (Discreet Manila) wrote on February 16, 2011 at 12:16 AM:

@Ronnie, I'm learning to see where the new places are. If you want to meet guys, stay on the ground floor. If you want to hang out with friends, the upper floors are it. :-)